I have been asked to write a bit about essential oils that could be helpful for issues involving circulation. The following information comes from my personal experience and training as well as the Essential Oils Desk Reference, Third Edition. I hope that it will assist you in utilizing these powerful gifts from Nature.
Whenever there are challenges with the circulatory system, the lymphatic system and the liver may be a bit sluggish as well. Whether the symptoms are high blood pressure, elevated cholesterol levels, vertigo, varicose veins, spider veins, cold hands and/or feet, or even cellulite, the circulatory system is likely involved.
The single oil that immediately comes to my mind for any situation involving circulation is CYPRESS. There are other oils that will enhance the effect of cypress, but it is always a “partner”.
Good circulation is the foundation of good health as inadequate circulation leads to cellular toxicity. All citrus oils have positive effects upon the circulatory system, and LEMON and GRAPEFRUIT are especially good natural tissue detoxifiers. When added to cypress, they enhance the effects upon the circulation.
A blend for improving circulation is:
- 10 drops CYPRESS
- 8 drops MARJORAM
- 5 drops BASIL
- 3 drops PEPPERMINT
- DILUTE 4 DROPS OF BLEND IN 10 ML PURE VEGETABLE OIL, and massage over area affected 3-4 times daily.
A blend for varicose veins or spider veins is:
- 2 drops CYPRESS
- 2 drops HELICHRYSUM
- DILUTE oils in 5 ML PURE VEGETABLE OIL, and massage over affected area 3-4 times daily.
A blend for cellulite is:
- 3 drops CYPRESS
- 5 drops GRAPEFRUIT
- 4 drops LEMONGRASS
- DILUTE 5 DROPS OF BLEND IN 10 ML PURE VEGETABLE OIL, and massage on location 3-4 times daily.
For issues of high blood pressure and/or elevated cholesterol, the blend, “AROMA LIFE”, created by Gary Young has been used with amazing results. This blend includes Cypress, Helichrysum, Marjoram, and Ylang ylang.
- Cypress improves circulation and lymphatic drainage. It reduces edema and strengthens the vascular system.
- Helichrysum has properties which assist in reducing blood viscosity if there is an imbalance. It also reduces plaque deposits from the veins and arteries.
- Marjoram helps regenerate smooth muscle tissue and assists in relieving muscle spasms. It calms nervous tension and has diuretic-like action.
- Ylang ylang has been used traditionally to balance heart function and high blood pressure.
This blend can be diffused, directly inhaled, and applied over the heart and first to fourth thoracic vertebrae, which correspond to the cardiopulmonary nerves [on the back, behind the heart]. It can also be diluted in vegetable oil and used for full body massage.
Information from the Essential Oils Desk Reference, Third edition